Pages

November 7, 2012

Winter is Coming

No, no, you don't have to worry about White Walkers or Dire Wolves, but winter is right around the corner here in NY and winter means holidays! I am thrilled to be able to spend Thanksgiving with my family this year, but after that comes my least favorite holiday of the year...
CHRISTMAS!

I won't get into my feelings on this dreaded holiday, except to say that I do enjoy some parts of it. Mostly fir trees, snow, and wrapping gifts. Since I have a big, beautiful house this year I am going to try my best to actually put up some winter decorations, something I haven't done in four years. Thanks to Pinterest, I have a pretty good plan in my head for what I want to do.

I don't really like "traditional" holiday decorations. I think they can be very pretty when done right, they just don't fit with my style or my personality. Instead, I lean more towards winter decorations focusing on nature. When I have decorated in the past, I've used wintery hues of blue, white, and silver, with some real evergreen in the mix in the form of a tree and wreaths. I am hoping to build on this theme with a few handmade extras this year.

1. I fell in love with this holiday wreath the moment I saw it. You can find the full tutorial from Whipper Berry. For my theme I am thinking about making the whole wreath white and adding a blue or silver bow. I am also tossing around the idea of working in some lights if I can figure that out.


















2. Snowflakes! I love snow! I mean love, love snow! I have been a snow bunny since before I could walk. My mom loves snow, my dad loves snow, my fiancee loves snow! So it is safe to say my decorations will celebrate this wonderful piece of nature. This snowflake curtain can be found at Bugs and Fishes. It looks like it could be a little time consuming, but the great thing about decorating for winter is that the decorations don't have to come down at the beginning of January!














3. More snowflakes!. These simple little hot glue snowflakes come to you courtesy of Pitter&Glink via Under the Table and Dreaming.
















4.  In addition to a real Fir tree, these cute little paper trees seem like they would be perfect lining the top of the mantle, buffet, or in a little cluster on the dining room table. Leave it to Martha for such cute and easy holiday staples.


















5.  Back to Martha for this adorable little Jingle Bell wreath. I am thinking one of these on every door with a variety of white, silver, and blue ribbons.




















6.  Finally, my fascination with pine cones can continue into the holidays with these amazing little paper ornaments. Canadian Living has step-by-step instructions. I'm thinking of making a garland instead of single ornaments.



















My plan is to get through most of these in November so I will be all set to decorate after Ryan's birthday. Wish me luck and keep an eye out, I'll try to post the successes as they are finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment