Pages

November 18, 2012

Books...

“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
- Charles William Eliot                                          


This is a lesson I want to teach my future children. I went through a stage when I was younger where I didn't like reading. I spent most of elementary school refusing to read anything that I didn't have to read for school. In middle school, I can remember overhearing one of my teachers saying that she could pick out the students who would get scholarships later on because they always had a book with them now. It was this comment, not even meant for me, that changed my mind about reading for fun. From then on I tried to have a book with me at all times. And before I knew it, I wanted to have a book with me at all times (I also pulled in a few scholarships). Now as an adult I read whatever I can, whenever I can.

Thanks to Project Gutenberg and my Kindle, I have been trying to read some of the "classics" that have been on my list.  One of those is L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz



I am so glad that I finally read this story. Everyone has seen the movie, and it was a fantastic feat in its day, but the original story is so much better! The imagery paired with child-friendly adversity and a simple but meaningful plot make this a book that I would gladly read over and over to my children.

If you have never read the original, or if you haven't read it recently, please do so. You won't regret it.



No comments:

Post a Comment