Pages

May 18, 2012

Welcome to my World

This will be my first attempt at a quilt.  I am fascinated with fresh, modern quilts, but I generally work on a much smaller scale. I have been inspired, recently by one of my suite mates from college. She has always been brilliant artistically, but now she has begun to make quilts too! I wish she had a website I could direct you to, but she does not so you'll just have to trust me on her brilliance.  


Since I am never one to shy from a challenge, and I will soon have a brand new home to decorate...why not dive in with a simple lap quilt.  I saw a houndstooth baby quilt on pinterest several months ago and I fell in love with the idea, but not the actual design.  As I am wont to do I tucked it away in the creative center of my brain and just let it simmer.  Finally, a couple of weeks ago I was able to come up with the design I wanted for my first ever quilt.  


(Welcome to my world of post-it notes and pencils. I have a problem obsession with office supplies. But it often comes in handy when I need to plan a project and I am not at home!)


Those of you that know me, may also know that I *started* a t-shirt quilt several years ago.  This, however hardly counts as a quilt because I only got as far as sewing the t-shirts to each other.  It has been sitting in a box in my closet ever since.

I have no intentions of starting this quilt until after the move, but I am so excited about it.  Ryan and I have decided on a simple gray and straw color scheme for our living room.  With some accents of black, white, and a darker yellow.  So, for this quilt I am planning on getting patterned fabric in dark gray and white for the front, and a simple solid straw color for the back and binding.

I am also planning on making slipcovers for our chairs in similar colors.  But those are a project for down the road a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment