Pages

October 3, 2012

Zur Erinnerung

Once upon a time, I lived in Germany. It was only for one short year, but it remains one of the best years in memory. One of my favorite parts was experiencing all of the food. Most people may not think of German food as chic or interesting, but there is something about it that I love. I love the fact that dinner is still eaten around the table with the whole family. I love that each dinner is prepared at home from real ingredients, not a box. I love the vast amount of cream that goes into German food. Mostly I love how the smells and tastes I experienced for the first time while abroad still have the power to flood me with wonderful memories 11 years later.



This is one of those foods. Pizza Suppe, I got the recipe from my first host mother. I still don't know why its called Pizza Soup...I am not generally in the habit of putting hamburger or corn on my pizza, but name aside, I love this stuff! 



One problem that I came across when I came back home with all of these wonderful recipes that I wanted to recreate was that there are a lot of ingredients that are hard to find in this country. I tried using substitutes, but it was just never the same. For this specific recipe it was Crème fraîche. So imagine my joy when I stumbled upon this in the grocery store the other day. The first thing that popped into my head was Pizza Suppe! The right ingredients simply make all the difference.

Assuming you can find Crème fraîche, you will also need:
  • ground beef 
  • 2 onions (I use one red and one yellow)
  • 2 bell peppers (red and yellow), I also threw in a jalapeno this time around
  • Basil and Oregano
  • Vegetable Stock
  • Tomato Paste
  • Corn
  • Cream Cheese
  • Crème fraîche  



Brown the ground beef with the peppers onions and herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.

 
















Add the tomato paste and vegetable stock. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Turn down heat slightly and add corn, Creame Cheese, and 2 tbsp Crème fraîche. Stir to blend and continue cooking on low heat for another 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper again if needed.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment