Pages

July 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Momma!

One of my favorite parts about being an artist is the random places I draw inspiration from. And the way that inspiration evolves until a final piece is created. 

Around valentine's this year we brought out a Lolita hand-painted wine glass at Hallmark. It was a tree with two love birds sitting in it.  I loved the idea, but wasn't thrilled about the painting as a whole. The image I had in my head started out as a stand alone tree sculpture with some hearts mixed throughout the leaves. After a couple months of trying to figure out the intricacies of creating such a tree (I have never really dabbled in sculpture at all) my idea morphed a bit. 

I knew from the beginning that this would be a gift for my mom, but I was not sure which occasion it would be finished for. My new idea was still a sculpture, but a wall hanging instead of stand alone. Fimo would be the medium of choice. I collected the colors I thought would be best for my liking, but also mom's décor. I sat down one night and just started sculpting. The end product was better than I could have hoped. The wood grain turned out beautifully and the glitter in the leaves was subtle yet eye-catching.


The only bad part...fimo is hard clay, my hands ached for about a week afterwards. It was however, incredibly worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment