Pages

September 6, 2012

Coconut Curry Chicken


While looking for new recipes that I could try out, I came across one called Lime and Coconut Chicken. I like lime and coconut, and we mostly eat chicken so this sounded like a winner to me. I have made it several times now, and while it doesn't really taste like lime, it is a wonderful coconut curry with a healthy kick.



This dish has become a new favorite for the whole family. So, here is the recipe should you be interested.

Start with approximately 2 pounds of chicken. I use boneless, skinless, but any will do.

For the marinade:

Dice one chile (for me the hotter the better. I have used Serrano and Hatch, but any variety will work. Add to small bowl.
















Zest one whole lime.
















Add 3 tbsp oil.
















2 tbsp soy sauce.
















1 tsp cumin.
















1 1/2 tsp corriander
















1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

2 tbsp sugar

2 tsp curry powder (I use a curry blend, but Ryan is the only one with that recipe)
















1/2 cup coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen. Make sure you read your labels. There are a lot of coconut milks out there that seem to have everything but coconut listed in the ingredients)
















Cayenne. Remember when I said the hotter the better for chiles? That goes the same for cayenne. The recipe I found calls for a pinch of cayenne, I put in a good deal more than that.































Whisk all the ingredients together and pour over chicken. I like to marinate mine for at least a couple hours. Overnight would work as well if you don't have the opportunity to mix and make all in the same day.
















I have found that baking chicken is the easiest way to get consistently juicy chicken, but you could prepare this any way you normally cook your chicken.

Reserve the marinade. When the chicken is close to finished cooking, add the marinade to a small saucepan. Heat over high until mixture boils. Keep mixture at a boil and stir frequently, at least 5 minutes or until mixture thickens to desired consistency. I like to add some extra coconut milk and chicken stock to yield a little more sauce, but I am crazy about sauces!

There are never, ever any left overs when I make this dish. Good luck and happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment