Pages

September 20, 2012

Home Sweet Home

I can't express how happy I am have to have a house. Although we are only renting, I still love the fact that we have an entire house. Ryan and I have been in a number of apartments over the past several years, some nicer than others, but this house thing is amazing! Not to mention this specific house is adorable. Nearly 100 years old and still beautiful. People have taken care of this house and it shows. Some of the features would cost a small fortune to put into a modern house. And to seal the deal our landlord is such a sweet man. He came over and mowed the lawn recently because he needed something to do while he waited for the painters.
Now that fall is moving in the house is even more pleasant. There were a few days over the summer that it was too hot to move inside. The cool weather is a nice change. This morning was actually chilly inside, and I loved it!

The house continues to be a work in progress. Ryan and I started working pretty quickly after moving in so there are still boxes in the cellar that need to be unpacked and pictures to be hung, but I thought I should at least share some pictures.


Here is our mantle currently. The entire living room is painted this dark red which matches all of our Asian-inspired decor quite well. I am currently working on some new curtains. The ones hanging are too dark and heavy for the room. I picked out some light fabric to hopefully brighten up the space.




Here are a couple pictures of the dining room. Our little table looks lonely in this giant room. New dining room chairs would probably help with that. We kept the Irish pub theme from our dining room in Kansas City and the color in this room worked really well for that. Unfortunately, the artwork looks a little sparse. We had much less wall space in Kansas City than we do here. That is not a bad thing though, it just means I will have to find some more pub decor to fill in the blank spots.

The buffet in the top picture is a dresser I have had for nearly 15 years. The plan is to refinish it to match the table.



This is not a great picture, but it is difficult to take a good picture in a room that is this yellow. I do love, love, love having a pantry though! So much storage space, which is good. Between Ryan's cooking and my baking we are quickly working toward having every kitchen gadget ever made. Not to mention, more spices than some restaurants!







These are all flowers from the garden behind the house. There are some pretty ones, but I am thinking about taking them out and replacing them with a vegetable garden. I love pretty flowers, but I think I would, not only benefit more from a vegetable garden, but also enjoy working in one more. Now, I just have to run this plan by my landlord. It would still leave the flower garden in the front of the house which is currently FULL of bulbs. I am anxious to see what pops up there next spring!





No comments:

Post a Comment